Patient Safety is a huge issue in today's medical world. As many as 440,000 people die every year from preventable errors in hospitals. When hospitals put profits over safety patients may get seriously injured or die. A recent survey by Leapfrog Hospital Grades has been published and reported on by Oregonlive. The survey gives grades designating Oregon's safest and most dangerous hospitals . Leapfrog measured the hospital's overall performance in keeping patients safe from preventable harm and medical errors," (Oregonlive) The results are surprising and worrysome.
The good news is many of Oregon's hospitals received an "A" rating. Here are some of Oregon's safest hospitals that received the highest "A rating":
- Portland Adventist (Portland)
- Asante Three Rivers Medical Center (Grants Pass)
- CHI Mercy Health Mercy Medical Center (Roseburg)
- Kaiser Sunnyside Medical Center (Clackamas)
- Kaiser Westside Medical Center (Hillsboro)
- Legacy Meridian Park (Tualatin)
- Providence Milwaukie Hospital (Milwaukie)
- Providence Portland Medical Center (Portland)
- Providence Willamette Falls Medical Center (Oregon City)
Surprisingly some of Oregon's larger more well-known hospitals received the lower "C" score. These scores are much lower than some of the lesser known rural hospitals. Some other well-known hospitals received an average "B" rating. For example:
- Legacy Good Samaritan Medical Center (Portland) received a "B"
- Legacy Mt. Hood Medical (Gresham) received a "B"
- McKenzie-Willamette Medical Center (Springfield) received a "B"
- Legacy Emanual Medical Center (Portland) received a "C"
- Oregon Health and Science University (Portland) received a "C" (Click for report)
- Providence Saint Vincent Medical Center (Portland) received a "C"
The bottom line is that if you have an opportunity to choose your medical care you should consider patient safety in your decision on where you will receive treatment. Hopefully, the hospitals that received the lower ratings will strive to get better. Only time will tell.
If you or someone you know has been injured at a hospital due to the Hospital's negligence or medical provider's malpractice call Portland Oregon attorney Jeremiah Ross for your free case evaluation at 503.224.1658. Please remember Ross Law LLC is not affiliated with The LeapFrogGroup and the results above are not independently verified. Please remember this post may be construed as attorney advertising.